Alyth was created a burgh by James III with a marketing function in 1488, and developed in association with cattle droving and the wool, jute and linen trades. Its Market Cross dates from 1670 and the Pack Bridge from c.1500. In the Norman-style Parish Church (1839) there is a Pictish Stone and the Alyth Arches stand on the site of the 6th Century church of St. Moluag. A museum, the only museum in Perth & Kinross outside Perth features displays on local agrarian history and the Alyth Hotel was the home of the inventor James Sandy (b.1766) who created the invisible hinge. Near the town is Bamff House, incorporating a 16th-century tower house, and to the northeast on Barry Hill stands an Iron Age fort that also has traditional associations with the King Arthur legend.