The original castle was a 16th century tower house and was the seat of the Barony of Balmachreuchie. The tower was extended and renovated in about 1856 by Patrick Alan Fraser, and a gatehouse was added. It took almost 40 years to complete, from 1856 to late 1880s. Fraser bought the land in 1847 from trustees of Robert Rattray. The Castle became part of Hospitalfield Arts Trust after the death of Fraser in 1890. It was later sold and run as a guest house for many years. It is three storeys tall and it was built with lime-mortared rubble.