There is a corner of Kirkmichael Parish churchyard where, despite very little space, there are no graves. This is because in 1500 AD plague victims were buried there. To fend off the plague, the Bishop of Dunkeld at the time visited his surrounding parishes administering consecrated items, one of which was the water the bones of St Columba had been dipped. Those who drank the water lived; those who refused to drink died. The bishop declared the bones of those who succumbed to the plague would retain the disease, so that corner of the churchyard where they were buried remains undisturbed.