Major William Caulfeild was an officer in the British Army.
He was the son of the Hon. Toby Caulfeild, and grandson of William Caulfeild, 1st Viscount Charlemont.
He was made Inspector Of Roads for Scotland in 1732, and after the departure of General Wade he became responsible for directing the construction of new roads and bridges.
Although he is not as well known as Wade, he is associated with the construction of far more roads than his predecessor. General Wade was responsible for 250 miles (400 km) of road, 40 bridges and 2 forts – whereas Caulfeild was responsible for 900 miles (1,400 km) of road and over 600 bridges.
Major Caulfeild died in 1767.
One of the main roads he was responsible for constructing ran from Braemar to Blairgowrie and parts of it can still be seen along the Cateran Trail.