Nearly halfway between Bridge of Cally and Kirkmichael the Cateran Trail passes close to Woodhill House. Today’s house is built on the footprint of much grander 18th century mansion house which was demolished in the 1960s. In the 19th century the house belonged to the Trotter family who advertised it for sporting parties. An entry in Robert Hall’s ‘The Highland Sportsman and Tourist’ (1886) gives a vivid impression of the comfortable lifestyle of the wealthy mid-Victorian families who would have rented it for the shooting season. “The shootings of Woodhill extend to about 2,500 acres, and yield good bags of all kinds of game. Probable bag of grouse, 300 to 400 brace. The house … which is delightfully situated, contains 4 sitting rooms, 8 bedrooms, 4 dressing rooms, 2 bathrooms, housekeeper’s room, servants’ hall, kitchen and scullery, butler’s pantry, ample servants’ accommodation etc. … There are also stables for 5 horses, coach house, rooms for coachmen, excellent garden and kennels”.